Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sibling Rivalry

Okay, I know it is completely normal, and I know that my brother, Michael and I behaved the same way much of the time as children, but IT IS DRIVING ME BATTY! IT, you might we wondering, is the fighting going on between Emilio and Gabi. Don't get me wrong, they are the best of friends, but they are also, the worst of enemies. When they play nicely together, it is so dang sweet, but when they aren't getting along, it could likely drive a person insane, namely, ME! Emilio has a way of knowing all the right "buttons" to push with his little sister. He teases her, calls her names, takes her favorite things and holds them above her head so she can't reach them. Gabi isn't all that innocent either, she cries wolf WAY too much by whining all the time, about the silliest little things. AND, she's always saying, "Boo Boo (his nickname) called me a bottom wipe." I'll respond, "Are you a bottom wipe?" "No," she says. "Then just ignore him," I usually respond, and then I discuss the name calling with Emilio. Or, she'll say, "Boo Boo, did a bad thing to me." Usually, he's taken some toy of hers that she wasn't even playing with, and teased her with it. Ugggh, it is so frustrating. I've tried to come up with consequences for this behavior for both of them, but I'm really at a loss, because it happens all the time.

Tonight, I lost it with them and gave them a serious talking to. I threatened that they wouldn't be able to play together at all because they couldn't get along. Emilio was reduced to tears because he thought I meant they couldn't play together FOREVER. He decided he needed to proove to me that he could play nicely with his sister, and proceeded to work on a puzzle with her for one half hour. It was very nice, and I made sure to shower praises on the both of them. It seems like a daily battle though. Any thoughts this Thursday on what I can do? Is this normal in your family, or do I have a "special" case going on over here at the Tolomei household?

I don't mean to complain, I'm glad they have each other because when they are getting along, it is one of the coolest things ever. AND, I know that eventually they will grow out of it. (although my bro still likes to tease me from time to time. I am an easy target though.) Anyway, give me your thoughts blogger friends. What is it like in your household lately?

2 comments:

heather said...

Um... Yeah.
Your house sounds like my house. Except I think mine is worse. Obviously I don't know all the details and I can't hear the level of exasperation in your voice, but honestly I feel like what you just wrote is about where we were a year or so ago (which is about the age difference in our kids?, so that makes sense).
And I have to tell you, I think it gets worse before it gets better. Much worse. But then also better in ways. It's easier to know when to intervene and teach a lesson and when to stay out of it and let them figure it out.
We're actually getting along pretty well as of the last couple of weeks. Our one big thing right now is tattling... I've taken to my pat answer as of late: "Don't talk to me about it, go talk to your sister/brother." And it's actually starting to work... they barely open their mouth; "Mom, Savannah-" and I cut them off and ask if it's something they need to say to me or something they need to talk about with the other one and they almost immediately turn around and go back to the situation. Sometimes nicely, sometimes not so nicely :).
Now how long does it take before they do that on their own and stop even trying to start tattling? Cuz it feels like it's been MONTHS of this....

Amber said...

Your house is completely normal! Heather is right, they come to a point where they can work things out. I have had to separate them a few times and of course I hear a lot of "poo poo head" (from Z) and tattling from Ains...which I detest! I try not to intervene unless someone is getting hurt or manipulating the other into something. That being said, it doesn't make it any easier or less annoying to deal with but know that your kids aren't the only ones doing it! Keep plugging along because you're an awesome mom! Miss you and have a great weekend!