Monday, August 27, 2007

Just plain Mean!

I haven't written in a few days. We have been in Portland to visit my aunt Kathe who came in from CA. I left on Sat. at 12:15 and what should have taken 25 minutes to get on I-5 S turned into over 2 hours! There was apparently a 7 car pileup on I-5 that I didn't know about and the onramp was closed for 5 hours. So, I was detoured down 99-S in Federal Way and waiting in line with gazillions of other cars wanting to get on the freeway. It was soooooo frustrating. I was worried about Gabi too because I had taken her to the Dr. that morning to have her checked out because she had a fever the two days before and threw up on Friday. Apparently she has the croupe and the Dr. put her on 3 days of Prednisone. Thankfully she wasn't feverish or throwing up on Saturday, so I decided to still make the quick trip. Well, after we were able to finally get on 1-5 (the kids were angels), my stomach starting acting up. I ended up feeling awful and had to find a bathroom quick if you know what I mean. I had to pull off at Centralia and get the kids sandels on and carry them into the Starbucks bathroom very quickly. They banged on the door and pulled out all the seatcovers as I was doubled over on the toilet (I know too much info....but it gets worse). I bought them chocolate milk quickly and then we ran over to the Safeway so I could purchase some Immodium AD. I know people probably thought I was an impatient mom because I was telling Emilio to run quickly with me as he was trying to sip down his choco milk and Gabi kept dropping her straw and milk was spilling all over. We got back in the car and it wasn't but 20 minutes down the road and I was pulling off again to go to a Shell bathroom, haul the kids in again, and repeat as before, including the banging on the doors by the kids again, and slipping on the nasty wet floor (needless to say, they were in desperate needs of baths and sanitization that day). Ugghhh, I thought the walls were closing in on me and I'd never make it to my destination. The meds starting kicking in and we finally made it after 5 hours of being on the road. My mom's prayers for the kids to be good were answered, they were great even though they didn't sleep too much. I had recurring boughts on the D-train that Sat. night and then very painful gastrointestestnal problems through that night. NOT FUN. Gabi has been just miserable on the prednisone. She hasn't had a fever anymore and no vomiting, but she's just been laying around for 3 days, not knowing if she wants to be held or put down. She's also been mean! The nurse I talked to today said that stuff is brutal on little kids and can make them very irritable and mean. Thankfully today is the last day of the nasty stuff. We have stayed an extra day since I didn't know if she'd be able to make the trip back home very comfortably. I'm over what I had, but Emilio has also had a fever the last two days, runny nose and a barky cough. Goodness, something is going around. You may want to stay away from the Tolomeis for awhile.

1 comment:

heather said...

Wow, that sounds like a trip from h*ll if I ever heard one. Glad you made it through all your "detours" and that you're all feeling better.

The kids and I come into Portland this weekend and then Ryan joins us on the 10th and we'll all be around for two weeks after that. Let us know if you'll be in Portland at all and we can plan a little get together!