Sunday, September 23, 2007

Puyallap Fair

Yesterday we headed south to the Puyallap Fair to see what all the talk is about. Michael and Emily actually mentioned that they might go, and so we took their idea and ran with it. Unfortunately we never met up with them there, Michael had forgotten his cell phone at home, they didn't know we decided to come down too, and there were soooo many people there (it is the last weekend the fair is running). Anyway, we took both jogging strollers (they are just easier to manuever these days) and strolled around with the kids. It was the best people watching place. I just love seeing all the different people God created out there, it is entertaining all in itself. John and Emilio went down this huge slide on burlap blankets together and had fun. I was really bummed because the batteries on my camera died while they were on the slide. We ended up buying some later though because I just couldn't stand the thought of not catching some "fair" photos. We had BBQ chicken sandwhiches and spicy sausages (John did at least) for lunch and the kids mowed their corn on the cob. WE also got some cotten candy and caramal corn. I wanted to get a scone, but the line was soooo long and I figured it wouldn't be a very healthy choice anyway. I know it is fun to splurge at the fair, but John and I couldn't stop thinking about how it is no wonder that the U.S. have so many obese people when you see all the kinds of really unhealthy food there is to offer at things like this. It was actually kind of sad. Anyway, we didn't dwell on it too long though. Emilio had been checking out this Dragon roller coaster for kids for some time and John was planning on going on it with him. They didn't let John on so Emilio bravely got in and buckled himself in the very front with a much bigger boy. He seemed fine until the ride started. I was on the opposite side of JOhn watching as Gabi finished her corn on the cob. As I saw Emilio come around the corner he had this horrible look of fear on his face and just started screaming in horror. It was so awful, he just broke my heart. John was on the other side anticipating a kid who was having the time of his life, but instead saw his little boy paralyized with fear. The ride operator looked across and saw my face and Emilio's and thankfully decided to stop the ride so he could get off. I felt so bad for Emilio. He said it was really scary and I told him he was a very brave boy to try it and that I bet he'll be able to do it when he's bigger. Anyway, that was kind of tramatic. He decided he wanted to do the big slide again and John told me I should do it with him. The thing is huge, so I was kind of nervous. Emilio told me, "Don't worry mommy, I will save you, you just give the man your ticket, get a blankie and go down the slide." He was really cute. The slide ended up being sooooooo much fun. If I had endless tickets I really could have done it all day long. The fair also had free face painting for the kids. I couldn't believe it was free because they charge you an arm and a leg for everything else it seems. Emilio chose a spider web on his face (big surprise! he is obsessed with Spiderman right now). We tried to have Gabi get a ladybug on her face, but she freaked out and it turned out to be a big smudge of red. I wiped it off with a baby wipe. Oh well. All in all, we had a lot of fun at the fair and will be sure to do it again next year, hopefully with Mike and Em next time so us adults can take turns watching kids so we can do some bigger rides (or at least John can. I admit I'm kind of a wimp! ).

















This was the effect the fair had on Emilio and Gabriela.

No comments: