Wednesday, June 25, 2008

All under the umbrella of "FUN"

The last couple of days I've been taking the kids down to one of the local swimming pools for "Fish School," four days of swimming lessons. Gabi is in a class with me and loves it! She is uninhibited in the water, splashing, blowing bubbles, kicking, climbing and jumping to me, and even letting me dunk her. It is really fun to see her play in the water.
I signed Emilio up for a Preschool 2 class on his own at the same time. He's had swimming experience one day a week from September until May this year. During that time he mastered holding his breath, bobbing, going under water to retrieve toys, kicking pretty well, and at times his "scoopy arms." So, I thought that this class would be perfect for him. Well, he has refused to go into the water the last two days of swimming lessons this week. He isn't able to see Gabi's class from where he is at and I think it freaks him out not being able to see us. He's been like this when we drop him off at church lately too, cries hysterically for us for a few minutes and then finally settles down. So strange really since he's been left for shorts stints for a couple years now at various places. Anyway, the swimming lessons thing has really bugged me, which may be part of the problem, he can tell that it miffs me. I've tried bribes with candy, buying him new swimming goggles yesterday, going to Target to get something on the last day as a reward, etc, but nothing has seemed to work.

So, this is my new tactic today, we shall see if it works. I was able to switch him to the class time before Gabi's today and tomorrow. He met his new teacher yesterday and I'm hoping/praying he gets into the pool today. The kid really does love water! I'm thinking that if Gabi and I are watching his class he might feel more secure. After his class he can come and enjoy watching Gabi and Marco (my nephew who is also taking with us) in their Starfish class. So, I'll have to post what happens. It is funny the lengths I'll go to as a mom to put some "FUN" in my kids' lives, and how often it isn't all that fun, but a heck of a lot of work on my part. They are worth it, but goodness gracious does it ever build character in me more than anything. :)

No comments: