Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Getting to know Charleston

Last Thursday John and I had a full day to get to know the town of Charleston, SC. We went to the outdoor market area of downtown and decided to take a carriage ride to get to know the city. We had heard so much about Charleston's acclaimed carriage rides. We learned so much history while taking the ride and really got to see some wonderful parts of the city. After our tour we grabbed a quick sandwich to go and raced out to Johns Island where others from the wedding party were waiting for us to get on a boat to take a ride. While out on the water we saw more than a dozen dolphins (so cool!), an eagle in his huge nest, and got to walk around on a sandy island and collect seashells. It was a beautiful sunny, 78 degree day and we had a blast. Later in the evening we stood in line at Jestine's Kitchen for dinner. It is a quaint little diner that serves delicious Southern food. I tried the Salmon and Fried Okra (it was pretty darn good). We walked around town and got some ice cream and then drove over to the old jailhouse for a Ghost tour that was interesting. All in all we had such a fabulous day in Charleston and found it to be a very charming Southern city!
Charleston's old slave market

A view from our carriage ride, old Southern homes with long side porches

Huge Southern Home

John and I on the beach

Josie and her niece Jolie driving the boat

Old Haunted Jail

John and I in prison!

1 comment:

Rach Fairchild said...

looks like you all had a good time. I am sure you missed the kiddos but I bet it was nice to get away for a few days.