Wednesday, October 17, 2007

It's "Boo" Time

I got a great idea from my blogging buddy Heather today. Her neighborhood is Boo-ing people to add some holiday fun before Halloween. I decided my neighborhood would be very cool to try this with because they are very social, there are lots of kiddos, and even those without kids seem to get very excited about Halloween, by the look of their decorations at least. Anyway, this is how it works;

*Make two bags of treats
*Include the Boo Poem and Ghost Sign in the bags
*Deliver them to two of your neighbors houses, but don't let them see who makes the "drop." Wait until night (with an adult), drop the bag, ring the doorbell, and run. This adds to the fun.
*The neighbors are then responsible to keep the Boo-ing going.
*Hang the ghost in your window or on your door so that people know you've been boo-ed.
*Keep an eye on nearby houses to see how far and fast it spreads until Halloween.

I picked up a bunch of fun things at the Dollar Tree today, including some darling bags....all $1.00! Emilio had a blast putting candy in the mini black cauldrons with me. I made up some more sugar cookies today because I thought all the candy Emilio had added the other day would be a dead giveaway to the neighbors.

Anyway, John didn't get home until 8:30 pm. from work and Emilio ran up to him and blurted out, "we gotta put the bags on the neighbors door, ring the door bell and run run really fast." He was really looking forward to this. So we put some warm clothes over his jammies and he went out with Daddy to make the drop. John said he wasn't sure how he was going to do this without the neighbors seeing them because it was a pretty far run without anything to hide behind, especially carrying Emilio. All of a sudden, Emilio burst into tears, he couldn't handle the pressure. He really didn't want to ruin the surprise. So, we watched from our front door as Daddy made the drop and sprinted back to us. Our neighbors came out and looked around for a few minutes, but we don't think they saw us. Phew! We then went around the alleyway to deliver the second bag. I carried Emilio although he was still a little nervous. We waited around the corner behind a fence as John dropped the other bag. Emilio erupted in giggles as he watched his Dad get a good workout racing to us. It was very fun. We hope everyone else has as much fun with it as we have already.

Here are our Boo Bags.........



4 comments:

heather said...

Those bags are great!! Glad you guys (Emilio especially!) had fun treating the neighborhood!

We're seeing lots of ghosts spreading around here and it's great!!

Sharon said...

That sounds like so much fun. I'll be interested to hear how many ghosts appear in your neighborhood.

Rach Fairchild said...

WOW, how much fun!!! Our neighbors would NEVER do anything like this, but I do have one neighbor that I will try to do this to. She LOVES Halloween. :) Great fun for kiddos though I will tell my friends about it!!!

The LaFiette's said...

That sounds like fun! It would not work in our neighborhood though since no body speaks English. When we move into a better neighborhood we may consider doing this. Fun