Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day

So, for the last few weeks I've been feeling this pressure like I needed to buy my kids gifts for Valentine's day.  I don't exactly know where that comes from, because as a child, we didn't receive special gifts for every holiday.  It must be the stores packed with crap up and down every isle, and in the middle too.  Anyway, I looked for something small, but with three kiddos, something small can still add up to be a lot.  So, I finally decided they weren't going to get a gift.  And, I was okay with it, mostly.

On Sunday night, I was watching the Grammy's, and was struck with an idea.  I don't often like to sit idle while I'm watching TV....I have to be crafting, folding laundry, ironing, flipping through a magazine, recipes, or even reading a book at times.  Anyway, I got this idea to make Valentine's special for my family with what I had lying around the house.  I googled a few ideas, and got inspired.  I made little cone shaped treat cornucopia's out of paper plates to hold cellophane bags of valentine candy we had lying around, and decorated it.  I got out old place mats the kids had made several Valentine's ago, our little valentine's plates from several years back as well, and decorated the table with hearts and cutouts from the cricut.  I printed out free heart coloring pages from the Internet and set those on table as well (activities while I would make breakfast the next morning).   I planned a breakfast, lunch ideas, and dinner, and got everything ready for the next day.  It was quite fun.

The kids were very surprised with their table setting, and seemed as pleased as punch with the effort I had put forth for them.  I made them pinkish/purplish berry smoothies, pink hot chocolate, toast with a heart cut out and an egg cooked inside, and some turkey sausage for breakfast.  They loved it.  I put together a heart/red themed muffin tin Monday lunch, and then made a special dinner, and surprise dessert (a pazookie like at BJ's restaurant).  We all dug in with forks together and ended the night on a "very yummy, but ate too" much note. John and I don't do anything for one another for valentine's, we let each other know we love each other on a daily basis, so we don't like to spend the money just because Hallmark says we have to.  Anyway,  it was a very nice day celebrating our LOVE as a family.  

My Funny Valentines

Treat bags for school.  I got the idea from Family Fun.  The bags are filled with Teddy Grahams, gummy bears, and even a few chocolate covered gummy bears.

place setting

Valentine's Breakfast

Busy coloring!

Say Cheese!
Muffin Tin Monday lunch

Our heart Pazookie al a' mode!

My littlest Valentine in Daddy's shoes!

No comments: