Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Faith like a Child

So the kids had been on eachother's nerves all afternoon. Emilio would call Gabi names. She would then freak out and start crying, "I'm not a ________ (pink poo poo, or whatever he came up with at that instance), I'm Gabriela." I was really on my last nerve with them. Her shreaking isn't pleasant to hear either (and I have encouraged her to use her words instead of freaking out).
Anyway, my energy has really started to wane in the afternoons/evenings what without John around, and being this far in my pregnancy. I kept giving empty threats to Emilio about the name calling throughout the evening, and finally after dinner and the umpteenth time of this brotherly/sister exchange, I knew I needed to buck up and follow through. Note to self: I probably should have followed through the first time around, but well, you know that's not always easy.
When Emilio finally said something again that was unkind, I told him he wasn't getting a cookie for dessert (and he was missing out as these were homemade chocolate chip, peanut butter chip, toffee crunch, everything but the kitchen sink oatmeal cookies that Emilio had helped me bake the other day). Well, as you can imagine, he wasn't too happy about it and immediatly put on his grinch face. He walked away for a little while after some pleading and begging to no avail. When he returned he told me.....
"Mom, I just prayed that you wouldn't get a treat tonight either."
Me: "Oh really, well usually when we pray for people we try and pray nice things for them."
Emilio: "Well, I just know Jesus is going to help me out here."

I couldn't help but giggle inside. He really does have a strong faith if he thinks Jesus is going to help punish Mommy for him.

3 comments:

Gospel of John BU said...

haha Christina thats really cute. My little cousins are getting cheeky. So many of my friend are abroad this semester and they all have blogs so I'm trying to follow them. I found yours too and can keep up with your life. lots of love to everyone

daniel

Melinda said...

That is funny...My kids have been driving me crazy too. I have been sick for almost 2 weeks and have been yelling empty threats throughout the house for days. Sometimes I follow through and then they look shocked that they actually got in trouble. I guess it is my fault for not keeping up with clear expectations. Consistency is SOOOOOO hard, especially when you aren't feeling well. I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes by quickly. I remember those days well.

Anonymous said...

wow. I think I would have lost it! what a character. you are a great mom. I love your stories and Mark really enjoyed this one.
ann