Thursday, December 3, 2009

"Christmas is coming........

the goose is getting fat..........." You know the rest.

We've had lots of fun decorating around here. John is home more this Christmas season than last, I'm not preggo anymore, and SO, we were able to put forth a little more effort this time around. The kids are so enthralled with the decorations. They just love to hang by the Christmas tree and talk about ornaments. It is pretty darn cute.
The first morning they came down to the decorated tree, Emilio told me that he and Gabi had a prayer time. I asked what they prayed for and he said, "We thanked Jesus that He's having a birthday soon, and we lifted up Nonno (my dad who recently had foot surgery) and Uncle John (who recently got a cancer diagnosis). I thought it was particularly sweet that the kids remembered the real reason for the season and thought of others as well. It made my heart smile for sure.

Emilio and Gabi LOVE opening the drawers on their new Advent house that I found for cheap at Winco. I filled it with little candies, trinkets, nativity ornaments that we hang on a mini Christmas tree that I used on my desk when I was a teacher, and little notes that remind us to read a Christmas story or ask Mommy for a surprise.
They've decorated the sliding glass door
Isn't this just lovely?
They've done some new artwork that made our kitchen walls pop with "Christmas"




















They also get a kick out of playing with the Fisher Price Nativity Set, and the singing snowmen and reindeer we have. I personally get a little tired of hearing the later two sing, "Holly Jolly Christmas, Rocking around the Christmas tree, and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer," but that's just me.















And, because I pack away their Christmas/Winter themed books with the holiday items each year, they are a novelty as well.














We've hung an extra stocking this year for little Miss Luci. Somehow she got the biggest one, it was all Cost Plus had.














The wreathes are hung


The lights are strung (including these fabulous new light ornaments I found at Target!....I think they are so cute!).














And we are enjoying watching the Christmas spirit through the eyes of three pairs of sweet eyes here at our house.

We started a new tradition last night as well that was part of my childhood growing up. We downloaded the old radio broadcast of "Cinnamon Bear" and started listing to it with the kids. They love it, even though it is very old fashioned.

There are so many wonderful things to do with children this time of year. We are so thankful.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Very Christmasy! Love it=0) We have the same nativity set (among others that aren't kid friendly) but we seem to be missing the cow and Mary at the moment! They each have a snow globe that plays many of the Christmas classics and at times they get all three globes and the nativity set going at the same time! uggh!

Christina said...

Our nativity doesn't make noises, you must have an updated cooler one. :) And, my sis in law informed me that they are not only missing Mary, but baby Jesus as well! Oops. What's a nativity without baby Jesus, right? Wish we could hang out this Christmas Amber.