I am cautiously optimistic tonight.....you see, up until now (and I hope it stays that way) Gabi has still had a pacifier at naptime and night time. Emilio had one until about 2 1/2 and then we got rid of it, which was a challenge for a few days, but successful. I had been hoping all summer to work with Gabi on getting rid of it too. I mean after all she has been potty trained since 22 months, even at night time now since the beginning of the summer, and has been in a big girl bed since May. She's not a baby anymore. Well, what with my nausea during the first few months of this pregnancy, and John starting law school, I just didn't have the energy to try and take the beloved nuk away from her. When we'd talk about it she'd tell me, "paci's are not just for babies." She'd act so sad about it and it made me dread the day I decided to do away with the stinky ol' thing.
Tonight after reading to the kids I started telling Gabi about what a big girl she is now and that when she wants to get rid of her "paci" she can have a new dolly and ballet outfit. I had picked up this and this a few weeks ago as incentive (she has other dolls like this, but as you can see this one fits her perfectly, same name and spelling to boot). I asked her if she'd like to see it and she acted so excited when I brought out the doll and outfit. Emilio was excited for her, the packaging of any new toy is impressive I guess. Emilio promptly started telling Gabi that if she throws her paci away tonight she'll get the dolly in the morning. I told Emilio that Gabi might not be ready for that yet, but she replied, "I am ready." She went to her room, found her paci in the bed where it is kept, and threw it in the bathroom garbage. I couldn't believe it. I put the dolly and ballet outfit up on her armoire for her to admire. I told her that I will never take her blankie away from her and she snuggled into the pink fluffy blanket and wanted all her stuffed animals around her tonight. Emilio told her, "Gabi if you wake up in the night and feel sad about your paci, just use your thinking brain and look at your dolly and remember you get to play with her tomorrow." He also told her he was so proud of her for being a big girl. What a sweet brother he can be sometimes. I was so thankful for his encouragement to her because I think it really helped. Now, she did take a while to fall asleep tonight, but there was absolutely no crying, no asking about her pacifier or anything!!! We shall see how the night life goes, and naps tomorrow after she's already enjoyed her reward, but like I said, I'm cautiously optimistic tonight! Yeah!
2 comments:
Congratulations! Great idea! Hope it works. Wyatt still has a pacifier which I am back to encouraging him to use at bedtimes because if he doesn't have one, he will suck his fingers and he is getting callouses on them. So I am hoping he can stick to a binky until he gives up sucking in general. He has got at least another year and a half before we have to start worrying about his teeth. Hope he gets tired of sucking my then. :)
the doll and outfit are so cute. I don't blame her. what an encouraging big brother!( our friends told their son it was time to give his paci to another baby who really needed it and he got to choose who. I thought that was cute too) Mark and I were laughing today about the little britches story so I logged on to catch up with the kiddos.
ann&mark
Post a Comment